The performance of the Sturgeon Falls hydroelectric power plant being subpar, the project consisted in replacing the existing Francis horizontal turbines with 3 turbines and generators with a vertical axial flow of 2 MW once installed. The power plant, built in 1912, is owned by the Municipality of West Nipissing in Northern Ontario. The project was completed in accelerated mode where the design and construction were done in parallel, within a 15-month timeline.
Nature of the services
- Simultaneous engineering and construction with an integrated design approach
- Preliminary and final plan and specification designs for the overall work
- Procurement and contract management
- General contracting and work management
- Monitoring services
|−||Quality control and assurance|
|−||Inspection during the construction phase|
Specificities of the project
- Replacement of the old turbines with 3 turbines and generators with a vertical axial flow (2 MW “Saxo”)
- Major structural change made to a plant dating back to 1912
- Roof change to allow for access to the crane for the turbine-alternator installation.